GEORGE NEWS - The Outeniqua Pass remains closed until further notice.
STATUS OF FIRE
Evacuations have been called for the informal settlements in Blanco, Golden Valley and Step Aside, as well as in Barrie Road in Glenbarrie.
Residents living on the borders of the town and forest are requested to voluntarily evacuate their homes due to danger of smoke inhalation. The fire remains active on the slopes.
A number of firebreaks have been put in place by the George Municipality to act as a line of defense for the urban interface.
Two huey helicopters, two fixed wing bombers and SANDF Oryx Helicopter are in place to render aerial support. All aerial support relying on weather conditions, currently poor visibility due to smoke and still unable to go up.
Currently over 300 resources available in the field.
Please put the following measures in place:
Should you wish to voluntarily evacuate:
- Keep windows and doors closed until further notice as protection against smoke and heat.
- Keep pets indoors where possible.
- Move garden furniture that is flammable under cover where possible.
- Wet thatch roofs, ensure gutters are clean.
- Elderly and persons with health issues who are able to voluntarily remove themselves from the areas adjacent to slopes of the mountain to please do so.
Read previous articles:
- Update: Residents evacuating Golden Valley
- Update: Veldfire on Outeniqua mountain
- Update: Controlled burns on Outeniqua mountain
- Fire update: Backburn visible on mountain
- Update: Herold veldfire
- Fire update: Herold veldfire
- Fire update: How you can help
- Update: Herold Fire
- Update: Fire in Herold, Outeniqua mountain
- Update: Fires in Herold, mountains
- Garden Route District Municipality fire update
- George fire update
- Herold fires: SPCA needs your help
- Outeniquapas weer oop
- Garden Route fires update
- Update: Fires in Garden Route
- Fires pose no current danger
- Passe oop na brande
- Fire on mountain in George
'We bring you the latest Garden Route, Hessequa, Karoo news'