GEORGE NEWS - The Western Cape Disaster Management Centre has been activated on a limited scale due to the ongoing active fires in George in the Outeniqua Pass area.
The Outeniqua Pass remains closed until further notice.
STATUS OF FIRE
The Outeniqua Fire remains active in the Waboomskraal area and on slopes of the Outeniqua Mountain above Witfontein Plantation. The fire line behind Fernridge has moved into the plantation, ground crews are busy with containment. All other fire lines are safe and contained at present. Smoke due to smouldering backburns from yesterday and wind direction which has changed to push smoke over CBD.
Two huey helicopters and two fixed wing bombers are in place to render aerial support, SANDF Oryx helicopter will be at the George Airport from 08:30. All aerial support area relying on weather conditions, currently poor visibility due to smoke.
Additional resources on route – 95 persons from Working on Fire. Resources will exceed 300 persons by this afternoon.
Please put the following measures in place:
- Keep windows and doors closed until further notice as protection against smoke and heat.
- Keep pets indoors where possible.
- Move garden furniture that is flammable under cover where possible.
- Elderly and persons with health issues who are able to voluntarily remove themselves from the areas adjacent to slopes of the mountain to please do so.
All donations towards the firefighting efforts must please be delivered to the George Fire Brigade at Mitchell Street.
Thank you for all the donations so far. We are in need of the following:
- smaller bottles of water (not 5L) for the firefighters
- Juices / Energades
- Lip Ice Vaseline
- Wet Wipes
- Chocolates / Energy bars / Bar Ones
Please drop at the George Fire Brigade in Mitchell street behind Outeniqua Primary sport fields.
Read previous articles:
- Update: Controlled burns on Outeniqua mountain
- Fire update: Backburn visible on mountain
- Update: Herold veldfire
- Fire update: Herold veldfire
- Fire update: How you can help
- Update: Herold Fire
- Update: Fire in Herold, Outeniqua mountain
- Update: Fires in Herold, mountains
- Garden Route District Municipality fire update
- George fire update
- Herold fires: SPCA needs your help
- Outeniquapas weer oop
- Garden Route fires update
- Update: Fires in Garden Route
- Fires pose no current danger
- Passe oop na brande
- Fire on mountain in George
'We bring you the latest George, Garden Route news'