GEORGE NEWS - Many people have been asking how they can help with the fires in the Outeniqua mountains.
Apart from the donations of water, etc one of the biggest things the public can do is to stay away from the affected areas to ensure that emergency crews have clear and easy access.
Keep your windows closed and if you stay near to the green belt ensure that your gutters are clean and free of any dry leaves which can start burning should hot embers fall into it. Keep your pets inside out of the smoke.
Prepare a "go bag" (important documents etc) should you need to evacuate. Follow instructions from emergency services and monitor local media for OFFICIAL updates.
Aerial fire support is on standby, waiting for the mist to clear.
Thank you for all the donations so far. We are in need of the following:
- smaller bottles of water (not 5L) for the firefighters
- Juices / Energades
- Lip Ice Vaseline
- Wet Wipes
- Chocolates / Energy bars / Bar Ones
Please drop at the George Fire Brigade in Mitchell street behind Outeniqua Primary sport fields.
More drop off points to be confirmed shortly.
Read previous articles:
- Update: Herold Fire
- Update: Fire in Herold, Outeniqua mountain
- Update: Fires in Herold, mountains
- Garden Route District Municipality fire update
- George fire update
- Herold fires: SPCA needs your help
- Outeniquapas weer oop
- Garden Route fires update
- Update: Fires in Garden Route
- Fires pose no current danger
- Passe oop na brande
- Fire on mountain in George
'We bring you the latest George, Garden Route news'