GEORGE NEWS - The Herold Veldfire remains active and will be monitored overnight.
A reconnaissance flight will take place at first light tomorrow, Saturday 27 October. Subject to weather conditions, the intention is to launch an aggressive aerial attack on the fire lines early tomorrow.
The helicopter will be deployed over the Montagu Pass and the two fixed wing bombers on the eastern flank.
IMPORTANT POINTS TO TAKE NOTE OF:
The use of DRONES is strongly discouraged as this could interfere with aerial operations during the day.
- Montagu Pass closed to vehicles.
- Outeniqua Pass open to motorists.
- Motorists requested to exercise caution and reduce speed in the Pass to assist with safety of firefighting teams working in the area overnight.
- Motorists requested not to stop along the pass unnecessarily.
- CapeNature has closed all hiking trails.
- Walking in and around George Mountains over the next few days is strongly discouraged.
- George Municipality
- Garden Route District Municipality
- Working on Fire
- Cape Pine
- South Cape Fire Protection Agency
- MTO Forestry
- Farmers and Landowners
Read previous articles:
- Garden Route District Municipality fire update
- George fire update
- Outeniquapas weer oop
- Garden Route fires update
'We bring you the latest George, Garden Route news'