GEORGE NEWS - The Herold Veldfire remains active.
The planned reconnaissance flight has not been able to take place due to mist and smoke conditions enveloping George.
Aerial operations remain suspended until further notice.
Ground crews are active in the pass and busy with mopping up.
IMPORTANT POINTS TO TAKE NOTE OF:
The use of DRONES is strongly discouraged as this could interfere with aerial operations during the day.
- Montagu Pass closed to vehicles.
- Outeniqua Pass open to motorists.
- Motorists requested to exercise caution and reduce speed in the Pass to assist with safety of firefighting teams working in the area overnight.
- Motorists requested not to stop along the pass unnecessarily.
- CapeNature has closed all hiking trails.
- Walking in and around George Mountains over the next few days is strongly discouraged.
- George Municipality
- Garden Route District Municipality
- Working on Fire
- Cape Pine
- South Cape Fire Protection Agency
- MTO Forestry
- Farmers and Landowners
Read previous articles:
- Update: Fires in Herold, mountains
- Garden Route District Municipality fire update
- George fire update
- Outeniquapas weer oop
- Garden Route fires update
'We bring you the latest George, Garden Route news'