Gallery Update Video
GEORGE NEWS & VIDEO - The Western Cape Disaster Management Centre has been activated in a limited capacity due to the ongoing active fires in the Outeniqua Mountain, George.
Actions taken for today
A total of 9km of backburns are currently being put in place with approximately 5km already completed and a further backburn to be actioned tonight along the top of the Witfontein Plantation in order to protect vulnerable neighbourhoods.
The wind direction is expected to remain Southerly tonight which is to the advantage of the firefighting teams and which will push the smoke and the flames up against the mountain.
Resources have been allocated and ground teams are in place to monitor and are actively working on suppressing fire lines.
All donations towards the firefighting efforts must please be delivered to the George Fire Brigade at Mitchell Street, behind Outeniqua Primary School.
Thank you for all the donations so far. We are in need of the following:
- smaller bottles of water (not 5L) for the firefighters
- Juices / Energades
- Lip Ice Vaseline
- Wet Wipes
- Chocolates / Energy bars / Bar Ones
Resources currently deployed:
- Garden Route District Municipality
- George Municipality
- Mossel Bay Municipality
- Cape Pine
- MTO Forestry
- Farmers and landowners
- WoF Aerial Firefighting (2 Bombers, 2 Helicopters)
- WoF Teams (210 members approximately) + 5 teams from WoF Free State expected
- South Cape Fire Protection Association
- Volunteer groups - Enviro WIldfire Services
Watch a video below:
Read previous articles:
- Fire update: Backburn visible on mountain
- Update: Herold veldfire
- Fire update: Herold veldfire
- Fire update: How you can help
- Update: Herold Fire
- Update: Fire in Herold, Outeniqua mountain
- Update: Fires in Herold, mountains
- Garden Route District Municipality fire update
- George fire update
- Herold fires: SPCA needs your help
- Outeniquapas weer oop
- Garden Route fires update
- Update: Fires in Garden Route
- Fires pose no current danger
- Passe oop na brande
- Fire on mountain in George
'We bring you the latest George, Garden Route news'