GARDEN ROUTE NEWS - The Outeniqua Pass remains closed until further notice.
STATUS OF FIRE
The fire remains active in the mountain area in Karatara but is currently contained by Sansparks. Backburns and firebreaks will be done during the course of the day.
The Outeniqua fire remains active on the mountain slopes. Backburns from the horseshoe to the back of the Denneoord Water Works were successful yesterday. A number of firebreaks have been put in place by the George Municipality to act as a line of defense for the urban interface.
Two huey helicopters, two fixed wing bombers and SANDF Oryx Helicopter are in place to render aerial support. All aerial support relying on weather conditions, currently poor visibility due to smoke. Wind direction is due to change from 12:00 onwards.
Resources: Currently over 300 resources available in the field.
Please put the following measures in place:
- Keep windows and doors closed until further notice as protection against smoke and heat.
- Keep pets indoors where possible.
- Move garden furniture that is flammable under cover where possible.
- Wet thatch roofs, ensure gutters are clean.
- Elderly and persons with health issues who are able to voluntarily remove themselves from the areas adjacent to slopes of the mountain to please do so.
All donations towards the firefighting efforts must please be delivered to the George Fire Brigade at Mitchell Street. Thank you for all the donations so far.
We are in need of the following:
- smaller bottles of water (not 5L) for the firefighters
- Juices / Energades
- Lip Ice Vaseline
- Wet Wipes
- Chocolates / Energy bars / Bar Ones
Please drop at the George Fire Brigade in Mitchell street behind Outeniqua Primary sport fields.
Read previous articles:
- Update: Veldfire on Outeniqua mountain
- Update: Controlled burns on Outeniqua mountain
- Fire update: Backburn visible on mountain
- Update: Herold veldfire
- Fire update: Herold veldfire
- Fire update: How you can help
- Update: Herold Fire
- Update: Fire in Herold, Outeniqua mountain
- Update: Fires in Herold, mountains
- Garden Route District Municipality fire update
- George fire update
- Herold fires: SPCA needs your help
- Outeniquapas weer oop
- Garden Route fires update
- Update: Fires in Garden Route
- Fires pose no current danger
- Passe oop na brande
- Fire on mountain in George
'We bring you the latest Garden Route, Hessequa, Karoo news'