GEORGE NEWS - The decision to centralise all the cases against the three murder accused in the Hlompho Mohapi murder, will in all probability take place on 30 September after the case was postponed last Thursday - the same day the long-awaited centralisation certificate from the National Director of Public Prosecutions (NDPP) arrived at the George Magistrate's Court.
The trio, Melisizwe Monqo (31), his fiancée Siphosihle Pamba (24) and co-accused Phumlani Qusheka (30) were arrested after the brutal murder of Hlompho Mohapi (25) in July 2018.
She was allegedly lured to her death under false pretences of a job interview at George Airport after life and funeral policies worth R3-million were taken out on her name.
Her body was found next to the gravel road leading to Voëlklip, a popular fishing spot at Herold's Bay. She had multiple stab wounds to her chest and her throat was slit.
The accused also face attempted murder charges after they allegedly attempted to kill three other women using a similar modus operandi in the Eastern Cape. Earlier this week these cases were transferred from the King Williams Town Magistrate's Court to George. The state wants all cases against the accused to be centralised and tried in the George Circuit High Court.
During court proceedings the state handed the defence the centralisation certificate as well as an indictment pertaining to the charges in the Mohapi murder case. After receiving the documents, the defence team, Clayton Samson and Pieter Terblanche, indicated that they needed time to peruse the documents.
The state also requested that the indictment be handed to the accused and the matter be transferred to the High Court.
The case was postponed to 20 September for centralisation and to give the defence enough time to go through the documents and consult with their clients. The case will in all probability be transferred to High Court in November.
Adv Evadne Kortje is for the state and the case serves in front of Magistrate Eleanor Mocke.
Read previous articles:
- Hlompho murder: Cases to be centralised
- Hlompho murder case continues in George
- Hlompho Mohapi laid to rest a year ago
- Murder case continues in July
- Murder suspect hides knife in rectum
- Mohapi murder case continues in July
- Mohapi murder case to High Court
- Cellphone found in murder suspect's cell
- Plot thickens as Mohapi murder case unfolds
- Hlompho murder trio still in jail
- Hlompho murder case continues next month
- Murder case postponed
- Hlompho murder: Suspects denied bail
- Hlompho murder case: Suspects denied bail
- Hlompho murder: Verdict on bail application
- Stains were Hlompho's blood
- Phones to be analysed in Hlompho murder
- Web of deceit behind murder, court hears
- Hlompho's murder: Insurance scams order of the day
- Shocking evidence heard in court
- Phone found in murder suspect's cell
'We bring you the latest George, Garden Route news'
'Ons bring jou die nuutste George, Tuinroete nuus'