GEORGE NEWS - The three suspects in the Hlompho Mohapi murder case, Melisizwe Monqo, Siphosihle Pamba and Phumlani Qusheka, will appear in the George Regional Court again on 22 May.
On Tuesday 2 April Clayton Sampson, appearing for Monqo and Pamba and Pieter Terblanche for Qusheka, indicated that they were still awaiting the indictment and docket copies before they could further consult with their clients. MP Heyns is the state prosecutor in the case.
From what was heard in court on Tuesday the case will eventually continue in the Circuit High Court in George after the pre-trail.
Centralisation of cases
In March the trio appeared in the Ezibeleni Magistrate's Court in Queenstown on charges of attempted murder. This came after three more potential victims in the Eastern Cape, on whom life insurance policies were also taken out without their knowledge, were identified during the Mohapi murder investigation.
The state intends having all the cases centralised and charged in the Circuit High Court in George later this year.
Amongst others the trio are facing charges of fraud, kidnapping, murder, attempted murder and robbery with aggravating circumstances. They have been in custody since their arrest in July 2018. Bail was denied in August.
Before she was killed, two life insurance policies and a funeral policy were taken out on Mohapi's life. On the day of her murder, the suspects allegedly lured her out of Thembalethu under false pretences of a job interview, after which she was abducted, brutally murdered and her body dumped next to the road leading to Voëlklip in Herold's Bay.
Read previous articles:
- Cellphone found in murder suspect's cell
- Plot thickens as Mohapi murder case unfolds
- Hlompho murder trio still in jail
- Hlompho murder case continues next month
- Murder case postponed
- Hlompho murder: Suspects denied bail
- Hlompho murder case: Suspects denied bail
- Hlompho murder: Verdict on bail application
- Stains were Hlompho's blood
- Phones to be analysed in Hlompho murder
- Web of deceit behind murder, court hears
- Hlompho's murder: Insurance scams order of the day
- Shocking evidence heard in court
- Phone found in murder suspect's cell
'We bring you the latest George, Garden Route news'