GEORGE NEWS - The murder case of Hlompho Mohapi (25) continued in the George Magistrate's Court on Wednesday morning where it was postponed to September.
Mohapi was murdered more than a year ago.
Before her death, life insurance policies and funeral cover were taken out on her name. On the day of her murder, Thursday 5 July 2018, she was allegedly lured to the George Airport under false pretences of a job.
Her body was found on the road that leads to Voëlklip in Herold's Bay later that day. She had several stab wounds to her chest and her throat was slit.
Melisizwe Monqo (31), his fiancée Siphosihle Pamba (24) and co-accused Phumlani Qusheka (30), were subsequently arrested in connection with the brutal murder. Amongst others they face charges of fraud, kidnapping, murder, attempted murder and robbery with aggravating circumstances.
More potential victims
The trio also appeared in the Ezibeleni Magistrate's Court in Queenstown on charges of attempted murder earlier this year after three more potential victims in the Eastern Cape were identified. Life insurance policies were also taken out on their names without their knowledge. This investigation has been finalised.
The state intends on having all the cases centralised and charged in the Circuit High Court in George later this year.
The case was remanded until 5 September to finalise the centralisation and for the transcripts of the record of all previous appearances to be made available to the court and defence.
Clayton Sampson represents Monqo and Pamba. Qusheka is represented by Pieter Terblanche of Legal Aid SA and Adv Evadne Kortje is for the state. The case serves in front of Magistrate Eleanor Mocke.
All three suspects remain in custody.
Read previous articles:
- Hlompho Mohapi laid to rest a year ago
- Murder case continues in July
- Murder suspect hides knife in rectum
- Mohapi murder case continues in July
- Mohapi murder case to High Court
- Cellphone found in murder suspect's cell
- Plot thickens as Mohapi murder case unfolds
- Hlompho murder trio still in jail
- Hlompho murder case continues next month
- Murder case postponed
- Hlompho murder: Suspects denied bail
- Hlompho murder case: Suspects denied bail
- Hlompho murder: Verdict on bail application
- Stains were Hlompho's blood
- Phones to be analysed in Hlompho murder
- Web of deceit behind murder, court hears
- Hlompho's murder: Insurance scams order of the day
- Shocking evidence heard in court
- Phone found in murder suspect's cell
'We bring you the latest George, Garden Route news'