GEORGE NEWS - Today marks one year since Thembalethu sweetheart and mother of two, Hlompho Mohapi (25), was laid to rest.
Mohapi's body was found on the gravel road leading to Voëlklip, Herold's Bay, on Thursday 5 July.
Merely days later, three suspects, Melisizwe Monqo, a 31-year old preacher from the Eastern Cape, his 26-year old fiancé, Siphosihle Pamba and Monqo's cousin, Phumlani Qusheka (29), were arrested.
Among others they face charges of premeditated murder, fraud and aggravated robbery a D will appear in the George Magistrate's Court on 31 July when the Senior Public Prosecutor is expected to decide on whether all cases will be centralised and tried in George
The trio were denied bail on 31 August 2018 by Magistrate, Phillip Mgwebile who said that Mohapi was "killed like an animal." Her body was found with several stab wounds to her chest and her throat was slit.
Before she was killed, two life insurance policies and a funeral policy were taken out on Mohapi's life. On the day of her murder, the suspects allegedly lured her out of Thembalethu under false pretences of a job interview, after which she was abducted, brutally murdered and her body dumped next to the road leading to Voëlklip in Herold's Bay.
A grieving mother
"I will never get over losing my girl. She had her entire life ahead of her and I know she would've made me proud one day. I can't put my grief into words. Every day is torture for me and there's nothing I can do to bring her back. All I have left are pictures and dreams. I just hope that one day justice will be served," her mother, Patricia Koloi, said.
Read previous articles:
- Murder case continues in July
- Murder suspect hides knife in rectum
- Mohapi murder case continues in July
- Mohapi murder case to High Court
- Cellphone found in murder suspect's cell
- Plot thickens as Mohapi murder case unfolds
- Hlompho murder trio still in jail
- Hlompho murder case continues next month
- Murder case postponed
- Hlompho murder: Suspects denied bail
- Hlompho murder case: Suspects denied bail
- Hlompho murder: Verdict on bail application
- Stains were Hlompho's blood
- Phones to be analysed in Hlompho murder
- Web of deceit behind murder, court hears
- Hlompho's murder: Insurance scams order of the day
- Shocking evidence heard in court
- Phone found in murder suspect's cell
'We bring you the latest George, Garden Route news'