NATIONAL NEWS - A seven-year-old boy is on a ventilator in a Soweto hospital after suffering 45 percent burn wounds when fire lighter gel exploded at a family fondue, Beeld newspaper reported on Friday.
Arno van Greuenen, who would have started Grade 2 at Laerskool Voorwaarts in Meyerton, Vereeniging this week, was being kept under sedation and on a ventilation machine at Chris Hani Baragwanath hospital.
A paramedic who treated him told the Afrikaans daily that he had suffered burn wounds to the hands, stomach, arms, chest and face.
The fire lighter gel exploded in the hands of his father, Schalk, who was busy lighting a flame for the family to enjoy a fondue meal at the weekend.
Arno walked past his dad when the gel exploded.
His father also suffered burn wounds to the hand and face.
Arno's mother, Bernadine van Greunen, said her son underwent an operation on Wednesday and was expected to get another skin transplant on Friday.
In December 2011, the then two-year-old Pippie Kruger suffered third degree burn wounds when fire lighter gel exploded in her father's hands at a braai in Lephalale in Limpopo.