NATIONAL NEWS - More than 200 matric learners had to be rushed to various hospitals because of suspected food poisoning at a high school in the north of Pretoria on Wednesday.
This after 203 grade 12 learners at the M.H. Baloyi Secondary in Winterveldt experienced cramps and upset stomachs after eating food that was offered at the school.
Gauteng education MEC Panyaza Lesufi said the learners complained about the tinned fish, cabbage, pumpkin and rice they had eaten.
“We have taken samples to the laboratory and are awaiting test results.”
Lesufi met with students, staff, the school’s governing body and parents on Thursday.
Later, angry parents were seen throwing out food meant for learners.
Learning was also disrupted as learners were told to go home.
Concerned parent Kgothatso Ramautswa told Rekord that he felt parents should be addressed by the chief director of the district instead of the MEC.
“When there are media, that is when we see the MEC,” said Ramautswa.
“We do not want a MEC that is a media darling. He does not know about the issues that students face. He is coming to the grandstand in a meeting. He must tell us about solutions rather than problems.”
An uncle of one of the students at the school, Kagiso Phiri, said he was called by the school and told that the learners had been affected by “food poising”.
“When things like this happen, we start to believe that it’s not safe at our schools. My nephew is still at home sleeping. He said he was still having stomach cramps.”