GEORGE NEWS - Only two of the three accused in the Hlompho Mohapi murder case appeared in the Circuit High Court in Thembalethu on Wednesday morning, 22 January.
Siphosihle Pamba (24), who is detained in the female prison at Oudtshoorn Correctional Services, and Phumlani Qusheka, who is detained at George Correctional Services, made it to court on time.
The other accused, Melisizwe Monqo (31), Pamba's fiancé, was still mid-transfer between Oudtshoorn Correctional Services and George when the trio was due to appear in front of Judge Nathan Erasmus.
This after the court ordered at their previous appearance at the end of 2019 that Monqo be transferred back to George Correctional Services to avoid any logistical issues or preferential treatment. Monqo had been transferred to Oudtshoorn on his own request earlier last year. He was however not transferred back to George as per the court order.
The two other suspects, Siphosihle Pamba (24), who is detained in the female prison at Oudtshoorn Correctional Services, and Phumlani Qusheka, who is detained at George Correctional Services, made it to court on time. The case was postponed in his absence.
Not trial ready
The pre-trial is set to continue in March, when a trial date for May will hopefully also be announced. Due to Qusheka's legal aid representative, Advocate Louise Luterek, only being appointed on Wednesday and not having time to consult with her client, Erasmus deemed the case not trial ready and postponed until 16 March.
The trio were arrested after the brutal murder of Mohapi in July 2018 after she was allegedly lured to her death under false pretences of a job interview at George Airport. Life and funeral policies worth R3-million were taken out on her name shortly before she was murdered.
Her body was found next to the gravel road leading to Voëlklip in Herold's Bay. The three are charged with premeditated murder, fraud and aggravated robbery.
They also face charges of attempted murder after they allegedly attempted to kill three other women using a similar modus operandi in the Eastern Cape.
An indictment regarding all the cases was served to the accused in the George Magistrate's Court on 25 September. All the cases have been centralised and will be tried in George.
Adv Evadné Kortje is for the state.
Read previous articles:
- Mohapi trial to start in 2020
- Hlompho Mohapi murder: What we know
- Mohapi murder nearing trial
- Mohapi murder: Centralisation postponed
- Hlompho murder: Cases to be centralised
- Hlompho murder case continues in George
- Hlompho Mohapi laid to rest a year ago
- Murder case continues in July
- Murder suspect hides knife in rectum
- Mohapi murder case continues in July
- Mohapi murder case to High Court
- Cellphone found in murder suspect's cell
- Plot thickens as Mohapi murder case unfolds
- Hlompho murder trio still in jail
- Hlompho murder case continues next month
- Murder case postponed
- Hlompho murder: Suspects denied bail
- Hlompho murder case: Suspects denied bail
- Hlompho murder: Verdict on bail application
- Stains were Hlompho's blood
- Phones to be analysed in Hlompho murder
- Web of deceit behind murder, court hears
- Hlompho's murder: Insurance scams order of the day
- Shocking evidence heard in court
- Phone found in murder suspect's cell
'We bring you the latest George, Garden Route news'