GEORGE NEWS - The standoff between Transnet and a group of former contract workers who were demanding permanent positions seems to have subsided.
This after an incident on Thursday last week where the disgruntled group allegedly prevented shunters at the George Station from working.
Transnet communications chief Mike Asefovitz denied the incident.
"Our security remains in place as I reported previously and the trolleying of the line by security personnel continues. Staff continue to work and in fact the number of ex-contract workers gathering outside seems to be dwindling."
Nicol Marais, Outeniqua Power Van operator, said though that the Transnet drivers who did the shunting early in the morning on Thursday were stopped by the discontented group. "The Power Van did go out on Thursday at 12:00 and the aggrieved group did not prevent us. We are grateful for that," he said.
For weeks, Transnet employees reported for duty, but could not work as the contract workers prevented them from entering the station grounds.
Marais said he learned on Friday that a settlement was reached, but he did not know who was involved. "On Saturday at 06:30 we held our own safety inspection of the line before the first trip started at 09:00. It seems as if a turning point in the situation has been reached and we are relieved."
'We bring you the latest George, Garden Route news'