GEORGE NEWS - The Conville Civic Centre was packed to capacity as the Western Cape Minister of Human Settlements, Tertuis Simmers, addressed residents about the the Metro Grounds Housing Project on Thursday 30 January.
The project was launched by Simmers in July last year and construction on the project is currently taking place along the PW Botha Boulevard near George Industria.
The project has a budget allocation of approximately R120-million and communities such as Lawaaikamp, Parkdene, Protea Park, Rosemoor, Borcherds, Maraiskamp and Conville are expected to benefit.
Engaging community members, Simmers reaffirmed his commitment to finishing this project and deliver the much-needed houses. He said there will be approximately 650 housing opportunities. Of these, 280 are for persons residing in informal settlements and 175 for persons residing in backyards.
Of the remaining 175 opportunities,5% go to persons with disabilities, 7,5% to farmworkers, 15% to those 60 years and older, and the balance to those longest on the waiting list.
"I will continue to keep an eagle eye on this development, as we have to ensure that the most deserving and those who qualify are given an opportunity. I also thank community members for allowing frank and open discussions, which presented an opportunity to clarify the criteria being used in the allocation of housing opportunities," said Simmers.
The following beneficiaries will be prioritised:
- The elderly
- People with disabilities
- Child-headed households
- Those longest on the waiting list (15 years and longer)
- Backyard dwellers (only for new / Greenfield projects)
It is estimated that the entire project will be finished by the end of 2022.
Read previous articles:
'We bring you the latest George, Garden Route news'