NATIONAL NEWS - Just 20 minutes before the ruling on former president Jacob Zuma’s application to have State Capture Commission chairperson Deputy Chief Raymond Zondo recuse himself from the inquiry was to be announced, the commission issued a statement confirming that it had been postponed.
It would now take place on Thursday morning at 10am.
The commission said Zuma furnished it with a statement which Zondo “needs to consider”. Zondo was scheduled to rule on the recusal application at 3pm on Wednesday.
In September, a scathing letter was written to Zondo, in which Zuma’s lawyers said the focus and “hallmark” of the commission’s approach was to “target” Zuma.
His legal team said Zondo “is no longer capable of exercising an independent and impartial mind”.
Zondo’s recusal, according to advocate Muzi Sikhakhane, was essential in allowing Zuma to present evidence before the commission, adding that he was “mindful of the crisis it would create”.
Zuma would not have been able to attend Wednesday’s recusal, as he had a funeral to attend, the commission heard on Monday.