GEORGE NEWS - Both Heidi Scheepers (35) and her son, Hugo (2) died as a result of drowning.
This was confirmed by Southern Cape police spokesperson, Captain Malcolm Pojie, after the autopsies were concluded on Friday and Monday respectively.
The search for the six-year-old Cozette is still underway.
"The search has been scaled down in terms of the number of personnel available as no new clues have surfaced. We will however still be conducting sporadic patrols along the coastline and we appeal to the community and fishermen to be vigilant for any debris or objects floating in the ocean. Please alert the police immediately. Police divers, NSRI rescuers and EMS search and rescue teams remain on standby for any eventuality," he said.
Heidi Scheepers and her children went missing on Tuesday 22 October after what was meant to be a quick visit to Herold's Bay beach, a popular beach not far from their home in Oubaai.
The vehicle they were travelling in, a charcoal-coloured VW Caravelle, was found at the bottom of a cliff in the Voëlklip area the next day (Wednesday 23 October).
On Thursday (24 October), Hugo’s body was recovered from the water when one of the rescuers on scene saw him floating on the water. He was still strapped to his car seat. The vehicle was recovered later that night.
On Saturday afternoon (26 October) Heidi’s body was recovered from the water near the Herold’s Bay beach area after a resident saw something floating in the water.
A memorial service will be held for Heidi and Hugo on Saturday 9 November at Eden Place. The time will be confirmed.
Read previous articles:
- Scheepers family dismisses rumours
- Search for missing girl continues
- Herold's Bay: Woman's body found in ocean
- Weather could hamper search for missing mother and daughter
- Memory wall for young Hugo Scheepers
- Soektog na ma en dogter gaan voort
- Update: Child's body recovered from Voëlklip
- Search operation now a recovery operation
- Soektog na ma en kinders hervat
- Missing: Focus on Voëlklip
- Soektog na ma en kinders gaan voort
- Urgent appeal from police
- Ma en kinders steeds vermis
- Mother and children missing
'We bring you the latest George, Garden Route news'