GEORGE NEWS - The raising of the spillway of the Garden Route Dam is a hot topic in the light of managing George's water resources to cope with increasing demand.
The long-awaited project was set to start in May after the George Municipality announced in mid-March that a contractor had been appointed. However, a week later, the contractor withdrew its tender.
The municipality relaunched the tendering process and at the time said they hoped that the project could start by July. However, the advertisement to invite tenders was only advertised in July.
On Monday 10 September, when asked about the progress and if tenders have been received, civil engineering services director Reginald Wesso did not reveal much.
In an e-mail response, he said, "Due to the complexities of this tender, and the complications the municipality has run into as a result of circumstances outside its control in the past, the George Municipality will make an announcement only after the full tender and appointment process has run its course, and it has established with certainty when a contractor will be on site. This process can potentially take weeks to months.
"The municipality is as anxious as all its citizens to get this process underway, but is constrained by legislative requirements and must comply accordingly, but will do all in its power to get this project underway as soon as possible."