GEORGE NEWS - Pepkor took further steps today (Thursday 13 September) against Mr Tekkie by filing an application at the Cape Town High Court requesting an order to interdict and restrain the previous founders and management of Tekkie Town, Braam van Huyssteen, Bernard Mostert and AJVH Holdings (Pty) Ltd from using the Mr. Tekkie trademark in relation to retail outlets selling footwear and clothing.
Pepkor maintains that it infringes the Tekkie Town trademark.
"Pepkor, as a significant listed retailer in South Africa, has a responsibility to protect its business and shareholders' interests and will continue to enforce its legal rights. The launch of Mr Tekkie points to an attempt to pass the brand off as being that of Tekkie Town, or as being connected with Tekkie Town," the company says in a press statement.
Today's application follows on the legal action taken by Pepkor earlier this week when it applied for an urgent court order to enforce a restraint of trade against Van Huyssteen and Mostert and other former Tekkie Town executives.
In response to the latest application, Mostert said, "We are the rightful owner of the Mr Tekkie trademark and we will fight for the protection of our property and our constitutional rights. Pepkor's repeated attempts to stigmatise our positive efforts to make a difference in South Africa are deplorable."
Read previous articles:
- Mr Tekkie launches while fights for Tekkie Town wage on
- Former Tekkie Town managers interdicted
- Waarheen volgende vir Tekkie Towners
- Tekkie Town 2 in the wings
'We bring you the latest George, Garden Route news'