GEORGE NEWS - None of the six new laboratory confirmed cases of Covid-19 (coronavirus) announced by the Western Cape Health Department today, 16 March, are in the Southern Cape.
Mediclinic George Manager Kassie Karstens has just confirmed this.
There are currently 62 confirmed cases in South Africa.
Fancourt guest being tested for coronavirus
Fancourt Hotel has confirmed that a guest has been assisted to be tested for Covid-19 at the Mediclinic George.
"The results of the test should be available by Wednesday evening 18 March," said Peter Dros, spokesperson for Fancourt. "The guest is in self-isolation and Fancourt has started the internal tracing process and are instructing those staff identified to remain in self-isolation until the results have been released."
He confirmed that the guest had been treated in the spa, which was closed as of 12:00 today, Monday 16 March. Two staff members from the spa who were in contact with the guest are in self-isolation.
"We would like to reiterate that Fancourt Hotel has not been closed, although in line with the President's address last night, we are stepping up protocols to ensure optimal hygiene practices are in place. With the global and national situation evolving rapidly, it may become necessary for Fancourt to take additional measures, including but not limited to the potential closure of certain facilities or a reduction in services.
"We would like to stress that this is not the first case of suspected coronavirus tested in George, and like all the previous ones we are hopeful that this is no different."
Apology about rumour
Eden FM today apologised publicly for broadcasting "misinformation" about an assumed case of coronavirus in Rosemoor, George. "It was not confirmed, and according to the Western Cape Department of Health there are not confirmed cases of persons being infected with the virus in George," the local radio station stated.
George Herald journalist Michelle Pienaar reports that the three by-elections in Parkdene (ward 8), Rosedale (ward 14) and Pacaltsdorp (ward 27) will most likely be postponed because of the coronavirus pandemic. The Independent Electoral Commission today (Monday 16 March) said it will be approaching the Electoral Court to postpone all scheduled by-elections countrywide.
Water Open Day postponed
Statement issued by SAICE and George Municipality: "In light of the Coronavirus-emergency and the measures announced by the president last night, we deem it prudent to postpone the Water Open Day with George Municipality scheduled for 21 March. We have all our preparations in place and visited the sites in the company of the SAICE President and acting CEO on Friday 13 March. We are therefore looking forward to hosting the day as soon as possible."
No fake news, just the facts
George Herald will not be reporting on every rumour circulating regarding Covid-19. We are only publishing news on the pandemic that has been confirmed via official channels. We are in direct contact with the hospitals and National and Provincial Departments of Health and will ensure that our readers stay up to date with all the latest Corona-virus related news and case updates.
'We bring you the latest George, Garden Route news'