GEORGE NEWS - Detectives of the Eden regional office are making good progress with their investigation into the torching of four vehicles in Thembalethu on Thursday 16 May.
The vehicles were torched following a stand-off between the local taxi industry and authorities after 13 taxis were impounded.
"Video footage is being analysed and a breakthrough is possible," Capt Malcolm Pojie, Southern Cape police spokesperson, told George Herald on Tuesday morning.
Two of the torched vehicles belong to the municipal traffic department, while the other two are the private vehicles of a George Link employee and a provincial traffic official.
Pojie said a case of wilful damage is being investigated. By Tuesday afternoon the situation had stabilised. "We have a heightened police presence in the area and members of the public order policing unit have been stationed in Thembalethu."
Pojie said the police are aware of the rumours that two men had been attacked. George Herald was informed that one person, a taxi driver from Parkdene, was assaulted on Sunday afternoon after transporting commuters from Wilderness.
He was allegedly forced off the road and attacked. In a separate incident a second man was allegedly attacked in the CBD after dropping off commuters at work using his private vehicle.
"We are aware of the alleged incidents, but no formal complaints have been laid. Nobody has come forward to lay charges or make a statement. We request that the victims or eyewitnesses of the alleged assaults report these or other incidents at their nearest police station," said Pojie.
'We bring you the latest George, Garden Route news'