- Drivers will have to undergo a practical re-evaluation when renewing a licence.
- A complete review and revamp of the current K53 test.
- Speed limits to be reduced from 60km/h to 40km/h in urban areas, from 100km/h to 80km/h in rural areas, and from 120km/h to 100km/h on freeways running through a residential area
- Goods vehicles above 9000kg GVM to be banned from public roads during peak traveling times.
- Under Regulation 250, no school child may be transported for reward in the goods compartment of a vehicle. Other persons may also not be transported in the goods compartment for reward. Unless it is done in terms of the NLTA.
Howard Dembrobsky of the Justice Project South Africa (JPSA) has said the Department of Transport has confused the public.
“For some reason, which is not immediately apparent to us, the Department of Transport appears to have chosen to irresponsibly conflate actual promulgated amendments with draft amendments. This merely has the effect of spreading misinformation and confusing the public.”