KNYSNA NEWS - As the Greater Knysna’s residents woke to the devastating news of yet another shooting, less than 24 hours after the killing of former Knysna mayor and Ward 8 councillor Aubrey Tsengwa (48), the Knysna Municipality has confirmed that one of the two men fatally wounded in Thursday night, 20 August’s shooting was former Ward 7 councillor Mandla Matiwane (47).
In a statement issued in memory of Matiwane, the Knysna Municipal Council said it had learnt with shock of the tragic killing of the former Ward 7 councillor, just a day after the shooting of former mayor Tsengwa.
“Cllr Matiwane served the people of Ward 7 with commitment and dedication as an ANC ward councillor from 2016 to 2021. His passing is a painful loss to his family, his community and all those who knew and worked with him,” the municipality said.
The Council extended its heartfelt condolences to the Matiwane family. “May they find strength and comfort in the memories of the life he lived and the people he touched. May his soul rest in peace.”
According to a statement issued by the Office of the Provincial Police Commissioner on Friday 21 August, the two men (aged 47 and 48, but it was unknown which was Matiwane’s at the time of publishing) had been in a vehicle in Bongani when they came under fire at about 21:00 on Thursday.
The Serious and Violent Crime Unit’s detectives have since instigated a manhunt for the perpetrators and will investigate whether the two incidents are linked. The gunmen responsible for the shooting have not yet been identified, the motive remains unknown and no arrests have yet been made.
The detectives, who were already investigating Wednesday night’s shooting involving Tsengwa, have been reinforced with additional detectives deployed to the area.
As previously reported, this publication is aware of the identities of both the men who were killed. However, the identity of the second victim is being withheld until the authorities have formally confirmed it and the necessary identification processes are completed.
Anyone with information is urged to contact Sergeant Nobuntu Thundezwa on 082 522 1251.
Knysna-Plett Herald will continue to follow developments and provide updates as further information becomes available.
Read previous articles:
- Two reportedly shot in Knysna’s Bongani area
- BREAKING: Manhunt launched after two more men gunned down in Knysna – day after Tsengwa murdered
‘We bring you the latest Garden Route, Hessequa, Karoo news’