SOUTHERN CAPE NEWS - The Garden Route District Municipality warns that the veld fire risk remains high for the rest of today (Monday 29 April) in the eastern Garden Route districts.
There is also a high veld fire risk in the Karoo tomorrow (Tuesday 23 April).
This follows a severe weather alert issued by the Cape Town Weather Office.
Dangerous veld/bush fire conditions
Whenever there are prolonged periods of little or no rain coupled with warm dry winds, veld or bush fires can easily be sparked and will spread rapidly in strong winds.
Precautions: Dangerous veld/bush fire conditions
- Don’t make fires in the open and/or leave fires unattended.
- Don’t throw cigarette butts out of cars or in the open veld.
- Don’t throw bottles in the veld as they can magnify the sun’s rays and start fires.
- Prepare and maintain fire breaks in a controlled manner.
- In the case of a large fire, report it immediately and move away from the area to let the professionals deal with it.
'We bring you the latest Garden Route, Karoo, Hessequa news'