GEORGE NEWS - The winter claimed its first victims in George this past weekend.
A 27-year-old man and a one-year-old boy, believed to be his son, have reportedly died after they inhaled toxic fumes originating from a brazier (a container for hot coals) in their dwelling.
The victims and the boy's mother, who was still alive, were found in their home in Zone 8, Thembalethu, on Sunday morning, 14 June.
According to Thembalethu communications officer Captain Dumile Gwavu, the three sat next to a brazier outside their house on Saturday and later took the brazier into the house where they went to sleep.
"An inquest docket has been opened. At this stage we believe the family inhaled the toxic fumes of the brazier which killed the man and the little boy," said Gwavu. "The boy and the man were found dead and the woman was still alive. She was rushed to the hospital were she is recovering."
The victims were discovered by a relative who went to visit them on Sunday morning.
'We bring you the latest George, Garden Route news'