GEORGE NEWS - There is still no clear indication whether the thorny matter of the roll-out of Go George Phase 4B* will be resolved any time soon.
The Western Cape Minister of Transport and Public Works, Bonginkosi Madikizela, said he has requested a one-on-one meeting with the national Minster of Transport, Fikile Mbalula, to discuss this hot potato.
In June last year, shortly after his appointment as MEC, Mandikizela visited George and announced that the roll-out would be implemented shortly. However, this was followed by a number of unsuccessful attempts to secure a meeting with Mbalula.
After a meeting between them eventually did take place, both ministers visited George in August and met with community leaders and stakeholders in the Go George matter, promising afterwards that the issue would be resolved within 45 days. It is now almost five months later and still nothing. During his visit to George last week, Madikizela said he has requested a meeting with the national minister to discuss Go George. "It's one of the first issues I want to discuss with him including the torching of the trains. I want us to come back here with the minister as soon as possible. After that meeting I can assure you as to when we will come back," he said.
Madikizela was expected to meet with Mbalula yesterday, Wednesday 22 January, in Pretoria.
* Phase 4B will service Conville, Parkdene, Ballotsview, Borcherds and Lawaaikamp.
Read related articles:
'We bring you the latest George, Garden Route news'