GEORGE NEWS - A 34-year-old man facing charges of attempted murder and driving under the influence of alcohol did not appear in the George Magistrate's Court on Monday 17 August as scheduled, as the case had not been enrolled.
The police could not confirm the reason for this, nor the date of the next court appearance.
A media enquiry has been sent to the police and feedback is awaited.
The man was arrested following an incident in Courtenay Street in the early hours of Friday morning, 14 August, in which a 31-year-old man was knocked over by a vehicle following an altercation earlier that night at a late-night venue in the area.
According to the information received, the incident occurred after the venue had closed for the evening.
The Southern Cape Police's spokesperson, Warrant Officer Chris Spies, said the police were on patrol in Courtenay Street at about 01:55 when they were alerted to an altercation outside the premises.
"They rushed to the scene and found a man who had allegedly been knocked over by a vehicle," Spies said.
The victim had sustained serious head injuries and was transported to hospital for medical treatment. He has since been discharged and is recovering at home.
The police arrested the vehicle's driver on the scene.
The owner of the venue previously declined to comment.
• Any further information received will be added to the online version of this article.
‘We bring you the latest Garden Route, Hessequa, Karoo news’