GEORGE NEWS - Golfing products worth half a million rand have been lost in a fire at the Garden Route Golf Warehouse Clearance Store in Knysna Road last Saturday.
Owners Jayde Tannous and Ian Norgarb are devastated by the extensive damage their shop suffered.
"The warehouse served the golfing fraternity for nearly 20 years. This was a place where golfers could purchase products at a clearance price, almost like a factory outlet," said Tannous. He said they rented the premises and are hoping that the owner would restore the building. "Three employees worked at the warehouse. Their jobs are at stake," said Tannous.
A car guard, Petrus Prins, known as "Oupa", alarmed staff at Mujo Bar & Restaurant adjacent to the shop, to the fire around 22:00 last Saturday. According to Mujo's owner, Liezl Kelland, they were hosting a private party. She is thankful that the restaurant escaped fire disaster. "Everyone - even some of our guests - just jumped in to help,'' she said. ''The fire touched the corner of our restaurant, but we were spared and no one got hurt. Staff used a fire hose and extinguisher to contain the fire.''
Kelland said when the George Fire Brigade arrived, the fire was mostly contained. Both Kelland and Tannous thanked the department for their quick action.
Tannous said the cause of the fire has been determined, but findings of the report may only be made available to the owners of the property, Caledon Recreational Centre.
"We trust that this incident will not mean the end of the driving range pro shop, and hope that repairs to the building will commence as quickly as possible so that we can continue to serve our customers and ensure our staff have jobs to come back to," said Tannous.
'We bring you the latest George, Garden Route news'