NATIONAL NEWS - A member of the mayoral committee (MMC) responsible for health and social development, Dr Mpho Phalatse, has confirmed with shock the news of two pre-school learners who have died as a result of rat poison found on the premises of a Westdene pre-school.
This is according to a press release issued by the city of Joburg a short while ago.
It is alleged that the two pre-school learners were under the care and supervision of a privately-run pre-school, which did not have the necessary permits to do so. It is also alleged that the area is infested with illegally run pre-schools, reports Northcliff Melville Times.
Dr Phalatse will visit the families of the deceased, the pre-school and the South African Police Service (SAPS) to get to the bottom of the matter. The MMC will be accompanied by city officials in social development, including social workers, the City’s Child Desk, Environmental Health, the Emergency Management Services, and local ward councillors.
Northcliff Melville Times has spoken to the distraught mother of one of the children, who confirmed the death of her daughter to the paper. She is seeking justice, and spoke of her frustration with the police, who she believes have not acted swiftly enough.
Northcliff Melville Times has not yet been able to confirm the death of the second victim.