GARDEN ROUTE NEWS - A Severe Weather Alert was issued by the Cape Town Weather Office as follows:
Heavy rain and flooding is expected over the eastern mountainous regions of the Garden Route late afternoon today and into the evening.
The following precautionary measures are advised:
- If possible stay indoors and off the roads, avoid crossing rivers and swollen streams where water is above your ankles.
- If trapped in flooding in a vehicle, abandon it and climb to higher ground.
- In buildings, move valuables to a safe place above the expected flood level.
- Switch off electricity at the supply point to the building.
- In rural areas protect/relocate animals to a safe place on higher ground.
- Abandon your home immediately if evacuation is recommended, before access is cut off by flood water.
- NEVER drive on a road covered by water.
- You do not know how deep it is or if the road has been washed away.
- If the vehicle stalls, leave it immediately and seek higher ground.
- Be especially cautious at night when it's harder to recognize flood dangers.
- Listen to the radio or TV for warnings and obey the instructions from disaster management officers.
Report any incidents to the Garden Route District Municipality Disaster Management Centre at: 044 805 5071.
'We bring you the latest George, Garden Route news'