NATIONAL NEWS - Government has released the new dates for learners to return to school, after Grade 7 and 12 learners were once again delayed last week.
According to the latest amendments, signed by Minister of Basic Education, Angie Motshekga on 1 June, the return dates are as follows:
- Grade 7
- Grade 12 and
- School of Skills: Year 4
- Early Childhood Development ("ECD")
- Grade 1
- Grade 2
- Grade 3
- Grade 6
- Grade 10
- Grade 11
- School of Skills: Years 2 and 3
- Schools for Learners with Severe Intellectual Disabilities ("SID"): Grades R, 1, 2, 3 and 6 and
- Special Care Centres for Learners with Severe and Profound Intellectual Disabilities ("LSPID"): Years 1-3
- Grade 4
- Grade 5
- Grade 8
- Grade 9
- School of Skills: Year 1 and
- Schools for Learners with Severe Intellectual Disabilities (' SID"): Grades 4 and 5
Schools may be permitted to deviate from these dates provided that they comply with social distancing regulations and requirements on Covid-19, and that they receive approval from the Head of Department for education in their province.
After-care facilities are also permitted to re-open provided that they comply with the relevant minimum health, safety, and social distancing measures.
The Department of Basic Education oversees Primary and Secondary school education in South Africa (Grade R – Grade 12), while the Department of Social Development oversees Early Childhood Development for younger children. Read more by clicking here.