NATIONAL NEWS - South Africa’s Garden Day is celebrated on Sunday 20 October.
This year the call to action for Garden Day is to down tools, invite neighbours, friends and family round, wear a flower crown and celebrate your garden together.
Garden Day is for everyone: beginner gardeners, indoor plant mums and dads, patio potters, rose growers and wild weeders
Most of the year we plant, water, weed and mulch – work. Garden Day, however, is the time to reap the rewards of your labour.
In other words, toss down that spade, invite family and friends around, kick back and appreciate the varied reasons why making a garden is so worthwhile!
SO, WHAT MUST YOU DO ON GARDEN DAY?
Celebrate your garden! How?
In the lead up to Garden Day visit your local Garden Centre or nursery and get inspired! Visit the Life is a Garden website to locate your nearest Garden Centre or nursery.
Once you’ve prepared your garden, invite your family, friends, and neighbours to come around and celebrate your garden with you by spending time in it together.
WAYS TO CELEBRATE
There are lots of different ways to celebrate your garden together…
- Invite neighbours and friends round for rooibos tea and beskuit.
- Instead of book club, have a plant club. Ask guests to bring a rare and interesting plant to swap with one of the other guests.
- Have a garden scavenger hunt.
- Enjoy dinner outside in the garden with each dish featuring a home-grown ingredient.
- Make seed bombs with the kids.
For more information, visit gardenday.co.za.