GEORGE NEWS - The sixth very popular Garden Route SPCA beach walk and fun dog show fundraiser took place on the Wilderness Green on Saturday 25 November.
The annual event is organised by the Wilderness Ratepayers and Residents Association (WRRA).
A tongue-in-cheek dog show with "sausage and spoon" races and prizes was again sponsored by Hills Pet Nutrition and represented by Jackie Justino.
The Wilderness Bowling Club supervised the fairground games which the children - and the occasional adult - enjoyed.
The Rotary Club of George planned and marked the route along the beach where the walkers and 178 dogs enjoyed the peace and perfect sunshine of the day together.
The raffle was well supported, and it was a surprise when a husband and wife won the first two prizes.
Amori du Preez (centre) and her dog Lizzy won first place doing tricks. With her are WRRA's Donald Goldfain (left) and Jackie Justino from Hills Pet Nutrition. INSERT: Jan Saunders with Serabi, Sam and Sabba (obscured) won first place for the dog(s) in the best condition.
Others thanked are:
• Eden Adventures,
• Palm Garden Square,
• Knysna Veterinary Clinic,
• Brian Wilson for the PA system,
• the MC Horace Blok,
• all the SPCA volunteers and their families,
• Chris Burlock who designed all the artwork for the games and
• Megan Reynders, who wore the GR SPCA mascot Nero's costume for hours in the heat of the day;
• Horace Block who donated a flip along the coastline in his light aircraft;
• Stylz Hair Salon in George gave a R1 000 hair treatment voucher;
• Roxi's in Palm Square Garden donated R750 meal vouchers; Corrie and Marianne Botha,
• owners of Aluminium Wise, gave a R500 Woolworths gift voucher plus an extra R500 to the SPCA, and
• Sharon Dold gave a gift set to the value of R500.
Jan Saunders with Serabi, Sam and Sabba (obscured) won first place for the dog(s) in the best condition.
The 'Ekliefkrismis' Market dog walk will take place on Saturday 16 December at Eden Place on the N2 at Kraaibosch.
'We bring you the latest George, Garden Route news'