NATIONAL NEWS - Participant entries have been coming in steadily for Starz at Home, the new talent showcase for aspirant young South African performers.
Launched online at the end of April, this brainchild initiative of lead actress, singer and musical theatre coach, Lisa Bobbert, offers entertainers between the ages of five and 19, the chance to break out of lockdown and Shine Online!
Says Bobbert: “I am thrilled with the response so far. It’s wonderful to see people using their talents in so many ways. Please note there is still time for you to get your entries in, and stand in line to be a winner.
"The deadline for admissions closes this month end (on 31 May). We are honoured to welcome to our judges’ panel industry celebrities and show biz specialists, including Jane Linley-Thomas, Jailoshini Naidoo, Daisy Spencer, Shelley Mclean Downham, Mthokozisi Zulu and Luke Holder.
Pick ‘n Pay as our main sponsor, is offering prizes totaling R10k. Two top overall winners will each receive a Pick n Pay gift voucher of R2500. A Fan Favourite and a Triple Treat Winner will each win a R1000 voucher, and other prizes will be awarded to winners in the performance categories of Music, Dance, Drama and Variety.
“Qualities we are looking for besides sheer talent, include authenticity, and something special, as well as the ability to radiate a love for performing, and a certain zaniness - everyone loves something different!. Moms and Dads are invited to get involved too in the ‘Family Section’.
"Tips to note when entrants are filming their inserts include lighting (be sure your face is well lit), and pay attention to detail with your performance, your presentation, and costume, ensuring these all reinforce your act.”
HOW IT WORKS
1. Enter online here - registration is R50 per solo category (5yrs to 19yrs) and R100 for a family (2 or more people in an item - no age restriction).
- Musical Variety
Under each CATEGORY you will find various STYLES you can enter - if your style is not featured you can choose the “OTHER” option. There is no limit to the number of entries per contestant.
2. Once you have registered and made payment, go to your “MY TICKETS’’ tab where you will find your barcoded ticket/s - the barcode number will be your entry number - each item entered will have its own unique number.
3. Film a 90-second video -Start by introducing yourself followed by your performance.
4. Join the “Starz At Home’’ Facebook page and upload your video. In the comments section write your name, age and ticket number (barcode number).
5. Once your video is uploaded - send and share to all your friends - there is a Fan Favourite prize for the video with the most likes and shares.
6. Deadline for entries and uploads is 31 May and winners will be announced on Friday 12 June!
7. If you have any problems or need to query anything please message the “Starz At Home” Facebook group. Also people can email firstname.lastname@example.org
Loads of prizes are up for grabs, including:
- Best overall Performance
- Category Winners
- Fan favourite - the video that gets the most likes and shares
- Triple Treat - Contestant who shines in three or more categories
So good luck peeps! Let’s get the talent rolling!
'We bring you the latest Garden Route, Hessequa, Karoo news'