GEORGE NEWS - Melvin Naik is adamant that he is still the Executive Mayor of George following the “illegal termination” of his party membership by the DA. He approached the High Court in Cape Town this morning to obtain an interdict against the DA to reverse their decision to kick him out.
Naik says the process followed by the DA is unconstitutional as he was never granted a disciplinary hearing where he could state his case.
“I am still in my office and see myself as mayor of George. I will not leave under a cloud and will not allow the DA to bully me.”
Naik shared his lawyer’s follow-up letter to the DA’s Federal Executive Committee chairperson, Helen Zille, in this regard with the George Herald. In the letter (see copy below), sent by attorney Winston Jansen on Wednesday 12 February, Jansen threatens to take legal action against the DA claiming that the whole process to get rid of Naik is unconstitutional as the cessation of his membership was to take place without a disciplinary hearing.
They also requested the minutes of the DA’s Federal Executive Committee meeting where Naik’s fate was decided. The lawyer also wanted to see the investigation report and all other evidence that Fedex used to reach their decision.
Naik says the DA ignored all their requests, forcing him to apply for the interdict.
DA George Constituency Head, Geordin Hill-Lewis said they expected Naik to follow the legal route. “This will not change anything. Our lawyers will defend any legal action from his side.”
By early this afternoon Hill-Lewis had not received any official notification regarding the interdict application.
- DA gives Naik the boot
- Naik: I will not resign
- DA requires Melvin Naik to resign as mayor
- Naik sits tight in storm
- DA suspends George mayor
- 'Prepare for a bombshell'
- DA caucus votes Naik must go
- DA accused of selective action after gunning for Mayor
- DA lays criminal charges against Mayor, senior officials
- DA wants to suspend mayor following damning report
- Municipal investigations: Game of thrones
- MEC and MM lock horns
- Minister responds to statement by Municipal Manager
- Municipal Manager responds to investigation report
- Mayor welcomes investigation, Municipal Manager questions motives
- Bredell orders investigation into George Municipality
'We bring you the latest George, Garden Route news'