GEORGE NEWS - The 13-year-old swimmer from George has done it again.
Minke Janse Van Rensburg won a silver medal on Wednesday 25 July with a time of 17.68 seconds in the 25m freestyle item, thereby setting new down syndrome junior and open categories Africa records at the Down Syndrome World Swimming Championship in Truro, Canada which is currently taking place.
Her time was 1.5 seconds faster than the previous junior Africa record and almost 1 sec faster than the previous open Africa record.
She was beaten by the 16-year-old French swimmer Cleo Renou who set a new world record at 17,45sec, only 0.13 seconds faster than Minke’s time.
The previous record holder Lizzie Allan ended third breaking her own world record with a personal best time of 18,87 sec.
Minke’s other achievements thus far include:
- bronze medal winner in the 50m freestyle open race in which she set the new junior World and Africa down syndrome records,
- silver medal in the 25m butterfly race (22,58) setting a new junior down syndrome Africa record,
- bronze medal with her teammates in the 4 x 50m open freestyle relay.
- 50m freestyle long-course junior down Syndrome World and Africa records;
- 4 x 50m open long course freestyle relay Africa record.
'We bring you the latest George, Garden Route news'