GEORGE NEWS - During the Covid-19 crisis period, contact details and office hours of some services may differ from the usual operations. Access to all municipal offices by members of the public is subjected to Covid-19 protocols which include registration, sanitising of hands and wearing a face mask at all times.
Depending on the size of foyers and reception areas, the number of people allowed into a specific department or section may differ and you will be advised accordingly upon arrival.
We kindly request the public to be patient and allow for extra waiting time. If possible, please do transactions online, per telephone or via email to avoid coming to the municipality in person and helping to reduce the risk of spreading the virus.
Depending on requirements of a specific department, staff are working on rotation or from home, and some administrative offices remain closed to the public. Please phone or email as far as possible as per details below.
- Switchboard: 044 801 9111
- All after-hours George Municipality emergencies: 044 801 6300
- Garden Route Disaster Management emergencies: 044 805 5071 (all hours)
Protection Services Administration Offices are now open to the public during office hours.
- Fire emergencies only: 044 801 6311 (all hours)
- Law Enforcement: 044 801 6350
- Anti-Land Invasion: 044 801 6310
- GIPTN PTOO: 044 801 6345
- All after-hours emergencies: 044 801 6300
Traffic Department Offices, Driving and Learners Licences:
- Mission Street, Pacaltsdorp 044 878 2400
- Open to the public Monday to Friday 08:00-15:00
If your Learners’ Driving Licence expires before 31 January 2021, please book your Driving Licence Test as soon as possible. The department is open for new appointments for learner’s licences as per usual rules (see Driving and Learners Licence section on website for details).
If you have received an SMS confirming your new Driving Licence is ready for collection, you can collect at the Pacaltsdorp offices on the times listed above, or Monday to Wednesday from 16:00-17.45, or on the Saturday stated on your SMS from 09:00-12:00. Bring your ID document and show the SMS to the official at the entrance.
Please be reminded that learner’s licences, driving licences, temporary driver's licences and professional driving permits which expired during initial lockdown (26 March-31 May), have been extended until 31 January 2020.
If your driving or learners’ licence test was cancelled during lockdown or because of offices being closed due to Covid-19 measures, you will receive an SMS with a new date and time. Please phone 044 878 2400 if you have not received an SMS within 20 days from your previous appointment.
Vehicle Testing Station
- Hibernia Street (next to train station) 044 801 9312.
- Open to public Monday to Friday 8am-3pm
Motor Vehicle Registration and Licencing
- Hibernia Street (next to train station) 044 801 9310 or 044 801 9311 or email@example.com
- Open to public weekdays 08:00-15:00, except Wednesdays closed at 14:00 due to compulsory training.
Please note that motor vehicle licences, temporary permits and roadworthy certificates that expired during initial lockdown (26 March-31 May) were valid until 31 August 2020 (with 21-day grace period allowed) and motor trade number licences are valid until 30 November 2020.
Please consider online renewal of vehicle licences as per details below instead of in-person renewals – as Covid-19 regulations significantly impacts on the amount of people that can be served in a day.
Offices are, however, fully staffed and bulk transactions are being handled after-hours. Pregnant women, the elderly and disabled can pre-arrange preferential treatment by calling 044 801 9310.
Please note access to premises for Motor Vehicle Licence Centre and Vehicle Testing Station is regulated at the gate from the street.
You don’t have to go to the Vehicle Licence Centre to renew your licence – do it online.
ONLINE ELECTRONIC PAYMENT OF VEHICLE LICENCE RENEWALS
The customer starts by registering a profile online at https://online.natis.gov.za/#/
Choose between registering as an individual or business.
The following information will be required:
1. Individual: initial, name, surname, ID number, driving licence number, contact details via mobile phone or email.
2. Organisation: name of business, ID number of proxy, driving licence number of proxy, contact details via mobile phone or email.
3. A one-time pin will be sent to your email or mobile phone number, which you must enter online.
4. Go to the ‘View motor vehicle renewals’ section and verify the information.
5. Access and/or download your electronic motor vehicle licence RENEWAL NOTICE (also known as a MVL2 notice).
6. The amount for the renewal of your vehicle will be on the notice.
7. Pay this amount into the George Municipality ABSA bank account (details below) and use the relevant vehicle licence number as a reference, eg. CAW ###### / Private number ##### WP
8. ABSA Cheque Account number: George Municipality, Cheque Account 01022220981 (Branch Code 632005)9. Email the proof of payment to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
10. Keep a copy of your proof of payment in the relevant car until you receive your licence disk, but keep your expired disk on your window in the meantime.
11. Once payment reflects on the municipality’s bank statement, the vehicle licence will be processed, and the new disk will be posted to your registered address. Please do not collect from the MVR offices unless pre-arranged and notified via SMS.
Civil engineering services
Services continue as usual, but administration offices (old City Hall) and Customer Services (old ABSA building) remain closed to the public.
Phone 044 801 9354 or 044 801 9262 for an (preferably online) appointment or to obtain the email address of the relevant staff member you want to connect with.
Report water leaks and burst pipes, sewerage blockages, leaks and spillages and urgent road and stormwater issues to:
- 044 801 9262/6 (7.45am-4.30pm)
- 044 801 6300 (after hours)
Estimated response times are 24-48 hours from recorded time of complaint at the above numbers.
Services continue as usual and the administration offices are open to the public weekdays 07:45 – 16:30. Two people are allowed in the foyer at any given time and no members of the public will be allowed into offices.
Planned maintenance has resumed and essential repairs for which planned outages are required will be communicated.
Please report power outages, broken street lights and faulty traffic lights to:
- 044 801 9222 (7.45am-4.30pm)
- 044 801 9202044 801 6300 (after hours)
Estimated response times from recorded time of complaint at above numbers:
- Low voltage electricity - within 24 hours
- High voltage electricity faults - can be longer than 24 hours depending on type of fault
- Street lights - three to four weeks
- Pre-paid electricity queries to Itron/Ontec: 044 873 5474 (08:00-16:00pm)
Two people are allowed in the foyer at any given time and no members of the public will be allowed into offices.
- Reception/all departments: 044 802 2900 firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
- Office of the Director: 044 802 2904 and firstname.lastname@example.org
- Parks and Recreation complaints: 044 802 2921 and email@example.com
- Uncollected BLACK bags 044 802 2900/20 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Uncollected GREEN and BLUE bags: 044 802 2900/ email@example.com
- Environmental Health: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Transfer Station: email@example.com
Black bag refuse removal as per the usual schedule (please see below).
Blue and green bag collection recommenced on 1 September 2020 and can be put out on the same days as black bags. If not collected on the same day, you can leave green and blue bags out for another two days – we apologise for the delay in collection and hope to resolve this as soon as possible.
Refuse Removal Days
Monday: Blanco, Riverlea, Heatherpark, Heatherlands, Glen Barrie, Kraaibosch, Groenkloof, Blue Mountain Village, Herold’s Bay, Victoria Bay
Tuesday: Levallia, Rosemoor, Conville, Protea Park, Parkdene, Ballotsview, Borchards, Lawaaikamp, Thembalethu, Wilderness, Touwsranten, Constantia Kloof
Wednesday: Camphersdrift, Fernridge, Denneoord, Bo-Dorp, Blommekloof, Tweerivieren, Hoogekraal, Hoekwil
Thursday: Dormehlsdrift, George South, Le Grand, Bos en Dal, Groeneweidepark, Sinksabrug, Herold, Geelhoutboom, Eselsjacht, Hansmoeskraal, Jonkershoek, Rooirivierrif, Pacaltsdorp, Rosedale, Waboomskraal, Wilderness Heights
Friday: Glenwood, Loerie Park, Eden, Genevafontein, Denver Park, Bergsig, Eastern Extension
Applicable business: Monday, Wednesday and Friday
Landfill Site and Transfer Station, Airport Road, open to public weekdays 07:00 - 17:00 and Saturdays 07:00 - 13:00.
Covid-19 protocols in place, bring your own pen to sign in for extra safety. firstname.lastname@example.org
Street cleaning crews continue to operate in and around the CBD and entrance roads to the city at selected hours, seven days a week.
Public toilets at the CBD taxi rank and Doneraile Square open every day, toilets at Shoprite open on weekends.
Please report illegal dumping to 044 802 2900. The municipality appeals to communities to remain safe and not dump illegal waste, which can be hazardous to their health.
Visitation to cemeteries by small groups are allowed at weekends provided that all Covid-19 protocols are observed. Funerals restricted to 50 mourners, limited to 30 minutes and mourners required to observe recommended hygiene practices as per Covid-19 guidelines and protocols. No busses allowed.
Sport Federations to contact Sport Office (Cathedral Street) on 044 801 9488 to arrange for safe return to facilities as per prescribed Covid-19 regulations per sport code. Pre-arranged appointments only on weekdays 7.45am-4.30pm. email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Community Development offices behind the Main Building is open for pre-arranged appointments only on weekdays 7.45am-4.30pm. 044 802 2000 or email@example.com
The municipality continues to support 137 municipal soup kitchens. Strict social distancing and hygienic practices apply. Emergency essential social services enquiries 072 693 3488.
The Extended Public Works Programme (EPWP) Unit is open to the public by appointment only, weekdays 7.45am-4.30pm. 044 802 2010 or firstname.lastname@example.org or emergencies to Gavin Esau 072 070 7234.
All libraries, except Thembalethu and Pacaltsdorp, are open but with reduced hours and strict Covid-19 protocols in place. George Main Library is open to members by appointment only, while smaller community libraries can receive ‘walk-ins’ as per capacity allowed. Please call your library to book your visit or, in case of community libraries, to check if you can just drop in during opening times.
Library materials handed in will be quarantined for 72 hours as per national and Western Cape safety standards and plastic covered materials wiped with sanitiser before being made available for loan.
Services are limited as follows:
- Issue and return of books.
- Ten books per library member for lending period of a month at a time.
- Admittance to adults and children older than 12.
- Research and reference services arranged by phone and/or email.
- Internet services - preference given to pre-booked patrons, maximum two people at any given time.
- Study area limited in compliance with regulations.
- Wearing of masks and sanitising of hands are compulsory.
- Your temperature will be taken before entering the library area, no admittance if it is 37.5C and higher.
Avontuur Library: 044 752 3351 email@example.com - Monday 12pm-3pm, Tuesday 11am-2pm, Wednesday and Thursday 10am-1pm.
Blanco Library: 044 870 7047 firstname.lastname@example.org - Monday to Friday 9am-4pm
Conville Library: 044 801 9320 Jrhode1@george.gov.za - Monday 9am-4pm
George Library: 044 8019288 email@example.com - Monday to Friday 9am-4pm, Saturday 9am-12pm
Haarlem Library: 044 763 1023 firstname.lastname@example.org - Monday, Thursday and Friday 2pm-5pm, Tuesday and Wednesday 2pm-5pm
Noll Library: 044 745 1014 email@example.com - Monday and Wednesday 12pm-3pm, Saturday 9am-12pm
Pacaltsdorp Library: 044 803 9340 firstname.lastname@example.org - closed until further notice
Thembalethu Library: 044 803 9260 email@example.com - closed until further notice
Touwsranten Library: 044 803 9285 firstname.lastname@example.org - Monday to Friday 9am-4pm
Uniondale Library: 044 752 1024 email@example.com – Tuesday and Thursday 9am-2pm
Waboomskraal Library: firstname.lastname@example.org - Monday to Friday 10am-2pm
Corporate Services administration offices, Area offices and Thusong Service Centres are open to the public weekdays 7.45am-4.30pm Covid-19 protocols are in place, and thresholds apply as to how many people are allowed in to each applicable building.
- Blanco: 044 803 9275
- Conville: 044 803 9261
- Pacaltsdorp: 044 803 9286
- Protea Park: 044 801 9111 ask for extension 2796
- New Dawn Park: 044 801 9111 ask for extension 2797
- Rosedale: 044 803 9295
- Rosemoor: 044 801 9379
- Touwsranten/Wilderness/Kleinkrantz: 044 803 9280
- Thembalethu: 044 801 9448
- Waboomskraal Thusong Centre: 044 886 0040
- Thembalethu Thusong Centre: 044 801 9421
Community Halls remain closed to the public and no venue bookings are being taken until further notice.
Human Settlements administration offices will be open to the public on Monday, 21 September, weekdays from 08:00 – 14:00. Covid-19 protocols are in place and only two people are allowed into the foyer at any given time.
For basic services (water and sanitation) queries and complaints in informal settlements please contact 044 802 2026.
For assistance with emergency structures following disaster (fire, flooding etc), please phone 044 802 2029.
Queries and complaints for water leakages (indigent cases) can be reported at the office on above times, but preferably by phone on 044 801 9210/9994 or email: email@example.com
Existing Housing Offices
Existing Housing offices will be open to the public weekdays 8am-2pm from Monday, 21 September.
Two people allowed into the section at any given time.
Enquiries: 044 801 9113 or 044 801 9078
New Housing Department (St Johns Street) offices will be open to the public weekdays 08:00-14:00 from Monday, 21 September.
Only two people allowed in the foyer at any given time and only the person making the enquiry will be allowed access.
There may be a waiting period and/or the person can leave their contact details and enquiry on the form provided at the security point where after an official will make contact.
Enquiries: 044 802 2003
Planning and Development
Town Planning (fifth floor of the main building) is now open Monday to Thursday 8am-12pm.
Two people allowed in the fifth-floor foyer at any given time and a waiting period outside the main entrance downstairs may apply if you arrive without having made an appointment. You can also leave your contact details with the administration officer who will contact you when an official is available.
Persons will be assisted at the front desk of the fifth-floor reception and will only be allowed into the back office under strict conditions.
The department will not accept any hard copy documents from the public. All documents must still be submitted electronically.
The present online services will continue to be rendered by the department under Lockdown Level 1. The officials can still be contacted by phone or email or can arrange a virtual Zoom or Microsoft Teams appointment with the relevant official to discuss any matters.
- General enquiries: 044 801 9477
- Property Transfer Certificates: Marina Welman firstname.lastname@example.org / 044 801 9171
- Zoning Certificates: Lorraine Malangeni email@example.com / 044 801 9477
- Zoning Rectifications: Jeanne Fourie firstname.lastname@example.org / 044 801 9138 and Ilané Huyser email@example.com / 044 801 9550
- Illegal Land Use Complaints: Robin Hector firstname.lastname@example.org / 044 801 9475 and Mawethu Bonga email@example.com / 044 801 9520
Online land use applications
Land use applications can be submitted online. Click here for more details.
Enquiries land use applications:
Erven ending with an even number (i.e. 0, 2, 4, 6, 8): Primrose Nako 044 801 9416 firstname.lastname@example.org
Erven ending with an odd number (i.e. 1, 3, 5, 7, 9): Marissa Arries 044 801 9473 email@example.com
Farm/portion numbers: Marina Welman 044 801 9171 firstname.lastname@example.org
Online building plans
Building plans can be submitted online. Click here for more information.
- General Enquiries 044 801 9370
- Request for existing building plans (Registration Department):
- Phindiswa Lingani: 044 801 9370 email@example.com
- Sinazo Moshani: 044 801 9019 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Musa Dyakop: 044 801 9166 email@example.com
- Status on building plan approvals: Vasti Laws: 044 801 9509 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Andrea Griessel: 044 801 9502 email@example.com
Please contact Building Inspectors directly during office hours:
- Fuzi Siguba: 060 578 9239
- Jacques van Heerden: 065 285 7233
- James Vollenhoven: 076 823 0412
- Illegal activity: Nolan Noemdoe: 083 757 3717
Donald Gelderbloem: Manager Property Management 044 801 9073 firstname.lastname@example.org
Leasing of properties: Josephine Mpembe 044 801 9190 email@example.com
Sale of properties: René Hendricks 044 801 9472 firstname.lastname@example.org
General enquiries: Monique Isaks 044 801 9375 email@example.com
- Business queries: 079 366 2621 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Other queries: 044 801 2820 / 073 621 0099 email@example.com
Ronel Le Fleur: 044 801 9075 / 071 870 7887 firstname.lastname@example.org
Ward committee operations
Paulina Saaiman: 044 801 9074 / 060 579 6829 email@example.com
044 801 9295 firstname.lastname@example.org
The Finance Hall in the Main Building is open to the public, weekdays from 09:00 - 13:00.
Covid-19 protocols are in place and only six persons are allowed inside the Finance Hall at any given time.
Estimated waiting time of 20 minutes, depending on the type of queries of the customers ahead of you in the queue.
While electronic payments are recommended (see details below), the Finance Hall is open for account payments in addition to municipal account queries, opening of accounts, new connections, duplicate accounts, arrangements on arrears, indigent applications etc.
Printed municipal accounts are being issued every month but may take some time to reach ratepayers as the postal service remains affected by some Covid-19 restrictions. If you have not received your account by the due date of the 15th of each month, please contact us to forward an email copy or pay the monthly average amount. Online accounts via email have not been affected by lockdown. If you want to receive your account via email, please mail a request to email@example.com
George Municipality Mobile App subscribers can still access new statement amounts by the 27th of each month. Download the App from your mobile Playstore – when you register the first time, use your mobile phone number as the username and password (you can change the password once you are in).
Ratepayers are requested to use one of the below-mentioned methods to make payments.
Accounts can be paid via electronic transfer (EFT – see details below), via pay@ mobile applications (see details below) and at Pick n Pay, Checkers, Shoprite, USave and SPAR.
Please take your most recent available account statement with you so that the shop can access the bar code that connects your payment to your GRG account number.
While meter readings have resumed, customers are encouraged to submit their meter readings electronically via email by the 5th of each month to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include your GRG account number and date of reading.
If for some reason, meter readings could not have been performed and you have not made an electronic meter reading submission, estimations will be used to calculate related rates.
Bank Details for electronic payment
- ABSA Bank
- Account Name: George Municipality
- Account Number: 010 2222 0981
- Branch Code: 632005
- Reference: your GRG account number
- Proof of payment to be sent to email@example.com
Download Masterpass, Snapscan or Zapper application on your mobile phone and complete your profile.
Load your credit or debit card.
To pay the account, open ‘Wallet’ inside the App you have downloaded and scan the QR code (the black square with the little squares inside it on the bottom right of your account).
Enter the amount you are going to pay and complete the transaction.
The App will confirm your successful, secure transaction.
You can also use the following link for payment of your account:
Click on the link and enter the Pay@ reference number (number starting with 11413) which appears on your account. Your customer information will appear with payment options to choose from.
Prepaid electricity purchases
The electricity token is automatically sent to the client via SMS or email.
Mobile apps belonging to banks also have a pre-paid electricity purchase function.
For prepaid enquiries please contact 044 873 5474
Please provide your GRG account number with all enquiries.
to firstname.lastname@example.org or 044 801 9111
Please note that limited assistance is available as personnel may be working offline.
Credit Control enquiries: 084 769 5635
The George Municipal Court is open. Enquiries: 044 801 9400 (07:45 - 16:30)
'We bring you the latest George, Garden Route news'