GEORGE NEWS - The Motor Vehicle Testing Station remains closed for now.
The Motor Vehicle Licencing office in Hibernia Street has reopened to the public from 1 June and the offices are experiencing exceptionally long queues. The offices can only deal with 25 persons at a time inside the building and yard, in terms of the social distancing requirements - the Covid measures which include sanitisation, taking of temperature and registering of your personal details are time consuming which leads to further delays.
The public must please take note that the gates will be closed once that quota of persons is reached. The offices are fully staffed and bulk transactions are only being handled after hours.
From Monday 1 June up to 19:30 on 2 June a total of 720 transactions were processed together with a further 154 complex bulk transactions.
The municipality would like to again remind residents that licences, driver's licences, temporary driver's licences, motor licences, temporary permits, roadworthy certificates and professional driving permits that expired between 26 March and 31 May and could not be renewed due to the Covid-19 national disaster and consequent restrictions, are still considered valid for 90 days from 1 June 2020.
The offices are open to the public from 08:00 to 15:00 and on Wednesdays the offices close at 14:30.
All precautions have been taken to safeguard the public, but residents must please note that no one will be allowed into the offices without the mandatory face masks. Residents will be requested to disinfect their hands and their temperature measurement will be taken.
No new appointments will be made for Drivers Licence applications, renewals or learners licence until backlog addressed
The Driver’s Licencing Service Centre in Pacaltsdorp opened to the public on 1 June 2020. The centre will first address appointments for learners and drivers licences that were cancelled during Lockdown Levels 4 and 5, and will not immediately be making new appointments.
This is on instruction of the Western Cape Department of Transport so that the backlog of appointments can be dealt with first.
Applicants who had appointments during the lockdown period (27 March – 1 June) will be notified by SMS of their new appointment dates and times within the next few weeks. If, for some reason, you do not receive an SMS in the next two to three weeks, please contact the licencing service centre – all contact details are on the back of your payment receipt.
The general number for the centre is 044 878 2400.
Current learner’s licences, driving licences, motor vehicle licence disks, temporary permits, professional driving permits and roadworthy certificates remain valid and shall be extended for a further grace period of 90 days from the date of expiry of the lockdown period, therefor 30 August 2020.
Validity of motor trading numbers will be extended six months from expiry of the lockdown period, therefor 30 November 2020.
Online electronic payment of vehicle licence renewals
The customer starts by registering a profile online
Choose between registering as an individual or business.
The following information will be required:
1. Individual: initial, name, surname, ID number, driving licence number, contact details via mobile phone or email.
2. Organisation: name of business, ID number of proxy, driving licence number of proxy, contact details via mobile phone or email.
3. A one-time pin will be sent to your email or mobile phone number, which you must enter online.
4. Go to the ‘View motor vehicle renewals’ section and verify the information.
5. Access and/or download your electronic motor vehicle licence RENEWAL NOTICE (also known as a MVL2 notice).
6. The amount for the renewal of your vehicle will be on the notice.
7. Pay this amount into the George Municipality ABSA bank account (details below) and use the relevant vehicle licence number as a reference.
8. ABSA Cheque Account number: 01022220981 (Branch Code 632005)
10. Keep a copy of your proof of payment in the relevant car until you receive your licence disk, but keep your expired disk on your window in the meantime.
11. Once payment reflects on the municipality’s bank statement, the vehicle licence will be processed and the disk posted.
'We bring you the latest George, Garden Route news'