GEORGE NEWS - The murder trial of the 25-year old Thembalethu mother, Hlompho Mohapi (Koloi), resumed in the George Circuit High Court this morning, Monday 8 February.
Mohapi's body was found by a local fisherman on the Voëlklip road near Herold's Bay on 5 July 2018. She was lying on her stomach and had a gaping wound to her neck, as well as seven stab wounds to her chest.
The three accused, Melisizwe Monqo, Siphosihle Pamba and Phumlani Qhusheka, have been in custody since they were arrested in July 2018.
First to testify today was a doctor who was on duty at a hospital in King Williams Town on 22 June 2017.
She explained how she treated a victim who was allegedly seriously assaulted by Monqo using a sharp object.
The court heard that the victim, who is a state witness in the case, sustained a serious wound above her right eye. She also sustained an open injury to her right hand.
According to the doctor's testimony, the victim had lost a lot of blood and the wounds could have been fatal if not treated in time.
Besides being charged with Mohapi's murder, the three accused face charges of conspiracy to commit murder, attempted murder, fraud, robbery with aggravating circumstances and kidnapping.
At the beginning of the trial last year, Monqo pleaded guilty to 15 of the 29 charges against him. Pamba and Qhusheka pleaded not guilty to all charges, but did make certain admissions.
Mohapi was allegedly lured to her death under false pretence of a job interview at George Airport. Life and funeral policies worth nearly R5-million were taken out on her name shortly before she was murdered.
The case serves in front of Judge Taswell Papier. Adv Evadne Kortjé is for the state, Adv Johan Visser (SC) represents Monqo, Adv Dawie Scholtz represents Pamba and Att Louise Luterek will be representing Qhusheka.
- Mohapi murder trial
- Mohapi murder trial: Cellphones tell a story
- Update: Claims asessor testifies
- Pathologist testifies to brutality of Hlompho's murder
- Mohapi was brutally murdered, court hears
- Witnesses testify in Mohapi murder trial
- Mohapi murder: Pastor pleads guilty murder
- 29 charges against Mohapi murder accused
- Mohapi murder trial starts in High Court
- Mohapi murder trial 'locked down'
- Mohapi murder trial date set
- Mohapi murder: Pre-trial to continue in March
- Mohapi trial to start in 2020
- Hlompho Mohapi murder: What we know
'We bring you the latest George, Garden Route news'