Many houses in the Phantom Pass to Rheenendal area burnt and 4 lives have been lost, 3 directly due to the current fire and one due to a heart attack, presumably agitated by the current conditions in the area.
The fire jumped the N2 near the Buffelsbaai turn-off, leading to the closure of the N2 at this point. The section near Kruisfontein, outside Knysna, on-route to Plettenberg Bay, still remain closed but in this section the fire has been brought under control
Confirmation has been received in terms of the following assistance, currently being dispatched from throughout the Province to assist in Knysna:
- 8 additional WOF teams to arrive in Knysna overnight as well as tomorrow morning (approximately 160 people);
- 2 medium tankers and one strike unit from the Overberg DM to arrive in Knysna later tonight;
- The City of Cape Town will assemble a team to come and assist from tomorrow;
- The SADF has been placed on standby by the PDMC to assist in Knysna, weather permitting;
Belvedere and the Western Heads are being evacuated, areas close to Brenton-on-Sea has been evacuated to the beach.
The elderly are being evacuated to the Mont Old age home and the Chris Hani community Hall in Dam se Bos is used to accommodate evacuated people.
Hooggekraal fire (Karatara)(also known as Elandskraal fire) –Sedgefield fire service on scene
Fire is out of control and there are still houses in danger an unidentified number of houses have been lost. Fire Chief, Clinton Manual, has requested help from Eden, people have also been evacuated from the area.
Kruisfontein fire (Knysna)-Knysna fire and rescue deployed at this fire
Manual has reported that the fire is totally out of control, the N2 remains closed and an unidentified number of houses have been lost in the fire and some houses are still in danger-people have been evacuated.
- Fires lead to evacuation
- 3 Killed in raging Knysna fire
- Knysna fires rage
- Weather wreaks havoc
- N2 closed due to raging fire