GEORGE NEWS - The Garden Route SPCA warns residents to keep an eye on their dogs as dog theft is on the increase in George.
Three dogs, all power breeds, have been reported stolen from homes in George.
“Having your dog stolen is a terrible experience for both owner and pet. It is important to prevent this. It is hard to recover a stolen pet if you have no idea where the person that took it is,” said SPCA senior inspector, Salomé Bruyns.
Mia, a Pit Bull Terrier, was stolen from a house in Fichat Street, George South, earlier this week. Cooper, a Bull Terrier cross, was lucky to escape after someone tried to steal him yesterday.
Another Pit Bull, Buddy, was allegedly also stolen from a house in La Vallia this morning.
Should you be the victim of dog theft, report it to the SPCA and the police and lay a charge of dog theft.
Tips for dog owners:
- Microchip your dog(s).
- Sterilized your dog(s). Unsterilized male dogs are bigger targets for dog thieves.
- Make sure you are not followed when walking your dog.
- Report any suspicious activity to the SPCA immediately.
- Keep your dog(s) out of sight of strangers – especially power breeds.
- Should you be the victim of dog theft, report it to the police and the SPCA immediately.
- Look out for fellow pet owners and be aware of your surroundings.
'We bring you the latest George, Garden Route news'