GEORGE NEWS - George Municipal Manager Trevor Botha said the service was temporarily discontinued as the service provider, Interwaste, was among services not allowed to operate during lockdown.
“As we expect Level 4 lockdown from next week, the service can commence with 50% of its workforce. We welcome this decision as waste reduction is an important aspect of the George Municipality’s long-term waste management plan.”
Residents are requested to stagger the putting out of green and blue bags over two to three weeks to enable the service provider to catch up with the backlog with only half its usual workforce in place.
Normally, two blue bags and three green bags are allowed – so, residents would ideally put out the two blue and three green plus a third portion of the backlog bags per week.
“We thank residents in advance for their patience as we deal with collections as quickly as possible.”
Refuse bags must be put out by 07:00 on the scheduled removal day.
During the catch-up period, collection may extend into the night. If there are still some bags out by 21:00 on the day of your regular collection, please take in whatever is left and put it out with the next week’s bags.
If it is difficult for you to hold onto your green and blue bags for another week, phone 044 802 2900 (for black bags with regular waste inside) or 044 878 0688 (for blue bags containing recyclables and green bags containing garden waste) to arrange for collection as soon as is possible.”
Two blue and two green replacement bags will be distributed to participating households when bags are collected next week.
“The George Municipality thanks our residents for their understanding during the Covid-19 lockdown and for their ongoing support of our recycling and composting projects by correctly putting their waste in blue and green bags. Despite the challenges, we are determined to continue waste reduction as far as possible,” said Mr Botha.
General information refuse collection
- BLUE bags are for non-soiled recyclable materials including plastic, paper, card board, glass etc.
- GREEN bags are for green waste including organic kitchen waste such as fruit and vegetable peels, as well as garden waste, including grass cuttings, leaves etc. No soil is allowed in the green bags.
- BLACK bags are for ‘wet’ waste, things that cannot be recycled.
- Please don’t put bags out the day or night before removal.
- Please wrap broken glass in newspaper before placing in bags to prevent injuries to workers.
Blue and green bags are collected on the same day as black bag refuse removal, but by different trucks – before or after the black bag collection and may be hours apart.
Refuse removal days
- MONDAY: Blanco, Riverlea, Heatherpark, Heatherlands, Glen Barrie, Kraaibosch, Groenkloof, Blue Mountain Village, Herold's Bay, Victoria Bay
- TUESDAY: Levallia, Rosemoor, Conville, Protea Park, Parkdene, Ballotsview, Borchards, Lawaaikamp, Thembalethu, Wilderness, Touwsranten, Constantia Kloof
- WEDNESDAY: Camphersdrift, Fernridge, Denneoord, Bo-Dorp, Blommekloof, Tweerivieren, Hoogekraal, Hoekwil
- THURSDAY: Dormehlsdrift, George South, Le Grand, Bos en Dal, Groeneweidepark, Sinksabrug, Herold, Geelhoutboom, Eselsjacht, Hansmoeskraal, Jonkershoek, Rooirivierrif, Pacaltsdorp, Rosedale, Waboomskraal
- FRIDAY: Glenwood, Loerie Park, Eden, Genevafontein, Denver Park, Bergsig, Eastern Extension
- ESSENTIAL BUSINESSES: Monday, Wednesday and Friday
'We bring you the latest George, Garden Route news'