ENTERTAINMENT NEWS - South Africans woke up on Monday to news that their queen Zozibini Tunzi beat more than 90 contestants in the 68th instalment of Miss Universe held in Tyler Perry’s Atlanta Studios.
She takes over from the Philippines’ Catriona Gray, who took over from South Africa’s Demi-Leigh Nel-Peters. She is the third South African to win the Miss Universe crown.
26-year-old Tunzi won the hearts of many with her inspiring speech of women’s empowerment.
She said: “I think the most important thing we should be teaching young girls today is leadership. It’s something that has been lacking in young girls and women for a very long time not because we don’t want to but because of what society has labelled women to be. I think we are the most powerful beings in the world and that we should be given every opportunity and that is what we should be teaching these young girls; to take up space. Nothing is as important as taking up space in society and cementing yourself.”
Not only did Tunzi win the hearts of many, but the title comes with many prizes.
According to Esquire Magazine, this is what Zozi walks away with:
- A year-long salary as Miss Universe
- Luxury accommodations in a New York City apartment for the duration of her reign, including living expenses
- A modelling portfolio by leading fashion photographers
- Dermatology and skincare services
- A professional health and nutrition consultation
- Dental services
- Professional representation by The Miss Universe Organization
- Extensive travel representing sponsors and charitable partners
- Access to various events including casting opportunities, movie premieres, screenings, Broadway shows, and launch parties
- Personal appearance wardrobe and styling by the official Miss Universe Organization fashion stylist.
She might also get products and services from the pageant’s sponsors including Sherri Hill, Chi Haircare, OP Makeup, and Olivia Quido Skin Care, reports the magazine.
Responding to the messages of congratulations she received on social media, Tunzi said: “Tonight a door was opened and I could not be more grateful to have been the one to have walked through it. May every little girl who witnessed this moment forever believe in the power of her dreams and may they see their faces reflected in mine.
“I am #MissUniverse2019.”