NATIONAL NEWS - The firearm at the centre of the three criminal charges that are being investigated against Eben Etzebeth is legally registered in the Springbok lock’s name.
According to Netwerk24, Nigel Samuels, the legal representative for the two complainants, confirmed to the media that the police have confirmed this.
Enver Wilsenach and Siyaad Smith maintain that the 27-year-old lock uttered a racial slur towards them after they walked past Die Watergat, a popular hangout in Langebaan.
Samuels added that the two men also reiterated that the ensuing brawl led to Etzebeth allegedly striking both on the head with the weapon, leaving Wilsenach unconscious.
To compound Etzebeth’s woes, Samuels also noted that the official police docket contains an affidavit from an unidentified woman, who alleges he pointed the weapon at her and a minor.
“We’re still waiting on one statement, the medical records from the relevant state hospital,” said Samuels.
“We’re also waiting on DNA results from the weapon.”
Eric Ntabazalila, spokesperson for the National Prosecuting Authority in the Western Cape, said that no decision had been made on charging Etzebeth yet.
The revelation comes amid the Human Right Commission (HRC) approaching the Equality Court in Vredenburg to complain about hate speech against Etzebeth and several other members of his party related to an incident at the Langebaan yacht club.
Buang Jones, head of legal services at the HRC, confirmed to several news outlets that Etzebeth’s continued participation at the Rugby World Cup would “only be determined” by the court.
But Andre Calitz, Etzebeth’s lawyer, insists his client is innocent.
“He was never involved in any of the alleged incidents. We do not need to change the story because it’s the truth,” he said.
Meanwhile, Springbok skipper Siya Kolisi on Thursday said that the saga wasn’t affecting the national team negatively in the build-up towards a crucial meeting with Italy in Shizuoka on Friday.
“To be honest, I don’t know what’s happening back in South Africa,” said Kolisi.
“I think SA Rugby issued a statement this morning. I know Eben is playing this week.
“Eben’s in a good space, we’ve just been preparing for the game. Every game for us is now a playoff game because if we slip up we’re out of the competition.”
Mzwandile Stick, an assistant coach, sang from the same hymn sheet.
“At the moment, Eben’s full-out for the World Cup. He’s going to be playing tomorrow and he’s going to be focusing on the game,” he said.
“He’s been in a good space as a team player and also the players around him in the squad are in a good space.”