GEORGE NEWS - About five families lost all their belongings in a fire that burnt down their shacks at KwaNorushe informal settlement opposite Thembalethu High School on the evening of Sunday 3 February.
Nosiphelo Bangani, a resident who lives nearby, thinks that the fires started in one of the shacks which were rented by some men.
She said the men came home late, allegedly drunk, and started cooking.
"It could have been that the men fell asleep, leaving the pot unattended - that's how we think the fire started. We were wakened up by big blazes of fire and people screaming. Everything happened so fast, we had to run out without saving our belongings," she said.
Bangani added that all the families in the five shacks, that include children aged between 7 and 19, lost everything and now need all the assistance they can get.
Ward Councillor Langa Langa said they have managed to get some donors to assist the families, but calls for more people to give assistance. There is particular need of uniforms, clothes, blankets and canned food. Langa said they have addressed the community of KwaNorushe following the incident and are working on a plan that will make everyone happy in terms of rebuilding the burnt structures.
"At the moment we are trying to make sure that the people who lost their shacks have accommodation. However, we are also working on a long-term solution, to ensure that we avoid such incidents in the future and end the congestion of the shacks," he said.
Langa said among the people who need assistance are three women, three men and four children. He thanked everybody who has donated so far and appealed to others to donate anything they can. Langa can be contacted on 083 760 5586.
'We bring you the latest George, Garden Route news'