GARDEN ROUTE NEWS - Are you planning to go shopping this week?
Before you head on out to the shops, here is what you need to know before queueing or entering a store, while shopping and what to do once home again.
Avoid shopping if unwell. Ask family or a friend to help. Prepare shopping list and only shop when essential. Only buy for 1-2 weeks.
At entrance to store
Clean handles of shopping trolley or basket with sanitising wipes. Clean hands with hand sanitiser. Only enter store when advised.
While waiting in queue
Keep 1.5 metres apart from others. Ensure you have put on cloth mask safely. Never share masks with other people. Clean hands with hand sanitiser before and after using ATM.
Remember: The number of people in stores will be limited - please be patient.
While shopping and leaving store
Keep 1.5 metres apart from others. Use trolley, even if not needed, to help with physical distancing. Do not touch your face or fiddle with your mask. Cough or sneeze into a tissue or your elbow. Safely throw away the tissue.
Avoid touching multiple products. Select item before picking it up.
When leaving store
Clean hands with hand sanitiser. Keep mask in place until you are ready to take it off safely. Do not pull mask around your neck. Never share masks with other people.
When arriving home
Remove mask safely. Immediately clean hands with hand sanitiser or soap and water. Unpack groceries. As an extra precaution, you can also wipe groceries packaged in plastic, glass and tin with warm water or a diluted disinfectant and allow to air dry before packing away. Clean hands again. If using reusable fabric shopping bags, wash in warm soapy water after each use.
Use a cloth mask safely
When putting on the mask:
- Wash your hands first.
- Place the inside of a clean mask against your face.
- Cover your nose and mouth.
- Make sure it fits well, don't touch the cloth part.
While wearing the mask:
- Do not touch your face or fiddle with the mask.
- Remove the mask if it is wet.
When taking off the mask:
- Touch only the straps.
- Keep it in a container until you wash it.
- Wash your hands after taking it off.
Caring for your masks:
- Have 2 masks so that you have a clean one ready.
- Never share masks with other people.
- Wash the mask with soap and hot water.
- Dry the mask in the sun and iron it to disinfect it.
Who to contact if you think you might be infected:
- National hotline: 0800 029 999
- Provincial hotline: 021 928 4102
'We bring you the latest Garden Route, Hessequa, Karoo news'