GEORGE NEWS - Some 178 runners and walkers took part in the Ou Tolhuis 10km fundraising training run, which was successfully held on Saturday 1 December. They starting from the open field near Plantation Road and Morning Glory Lane, following the Montagu pass to the turning point at the Old Toll House and back, where 47 lucky entrants gratefully accepted their lucky draw prizes.
Gerda Stols and Friends of the Toll House provided coffee and pancakes at the halfway point, where water was also provided by Oasis.
At the water table, a specially constructed "toll box", made and donated by Woods Alive, was positioned to receive the requested voluntary donations of R10 per kilometre covered, or R100 per participant. By the end of the training run, the toll box was bulging with a generous and much appreciated R17 156, raised for use by the Friends of the Toll House for the restoration of this historic building.
The generosity of the walkers and runners, and the immense support that we received from the business community of George as well as private sponsors, are testament to the spirit of our community in supporting the restoration of this landmark building.
The mood on the road was very positive and enthusiastic, with many runners and walkers providing positive feedback and indicating a keen interest in this being an annual event.
Particular thanks goes to:
- George Herald – placement of advertisement for the event
- Top Gear – sporting goods donated and logistical support
- Woods Alive – creation and donation of the toll box
- ER24 – emergency medical support
Lucky draw prize donors:
- Jakkalsvlei Wines – wine packs and food & wine paring
- Tokkienel Jewellers – R300 voucher
- Wilderness Hotel and Oakhurst Hotel – overnight accommodation and breakfast
- Third Generation- hairdryer
- Wonki Ware - platter
- Total Courtenay - vouchers
- Sportsman's Warehouse - vouchers
- Geronimo Spur - vouchers
- Panarottis - vouchers
- Nandos - vouchers
- Oasis – water table and hamper
- Ground Control - vouchers
- Upstairs at Harry's - vouchers
- Rocomammas - vouchers
- Hussar Grill - vouchers
- Debbie Blank – Tupperware surprise
- Willie vd Westhuizen – wine
- Semper Prima – cash donation
- Friends of the Toll house for logistical support, coffee and pancakes !
- The "Lentedrawwers" for logistics of the training run
- Sonja Grobbelaar – artwork and design of the advertisement
'We bring you the latest George, Garden Route news'