Carl Schoombie murder: Suspect caught

Carl Ronald Schoombie.

GEORGE NEWS - “Juane Jacobs has been caught! He is in police custody! My family and I cannot thank you enough for your constant support! We couldn't have done this without you. The search is over... the fight for justice will continue in court.”

These are the words on Lee Schoombie’s Facebook page that describe the Schoombie family’s feelings of overwhelming relief at the arrest of the man suspected of murdering Lee’s brother.

Carl Schoombie, a former York High learner, was murdered after leaving a Cape Town nightclub in Claremont, Rondebosch on 21 November 2015, in what is believed to be a case of mistaken identity. He was beaten to death in a revenge attack aimed at other revellers who picked up a fight inside the club earlier that night.

An elated Lee Schoombie said the arrest followed after three months of investigation and following up reports from people who had sighted Jacobs in the Gauteng area.
 
“Jacobs is a dangerous man, but we followed up every clue, and eventually after posting a R65 000 reward we received three calls all pointing to the same area. He proved to be very slippery and kept on changing cars and cell phones.”

Jacobs was arrested on Saturday 27 February at 15:00 and he is in custody at the Jeppe Police Station. Lee, who took six weeks off work during the investigation, returned to work in January. He told the George Herald the family was informed that Jacobs will be moved to Cape Town. “He will be appearing in the Wynberg Magistrate’s Court. Now the next fight starts.”

Carl was extremely dedicated and motivated in everything he did, attaining two degrees in seven years. He first completed a BComm in financial management and then went into mechatronics.
 
He was a keen sportsman, especially enjoying rugby. He also played for the Sharks academy in his first year after school.
 
Captain FC Van Wyk of the SAPS Western Cape Corporate Communication confirmed today, Tuesday 1 March, that a 35 year old man was arrested in Jeppe on Saturday 27 February. He will be making a court appearance at the Wynberg Magistrates Court on 7 March on charges relating to murder.
 
Click here for previous articles
 
ARTICLE: PAULINE LOURENS, GEORGE HERALD JOURNALIST
 
'We bring you the latest George, Garden Route news'


Show comments

Copyright 2017 Group Editors Co PTY Ltd t/a George Herald