NATIONAL NEWS - Here are the seven things to know about the Mpumalanga strongman, known as ‘the cat’, who ran for the governing party’s deputy presidency under the “unity” vote:
- Mabuza supported President Jacob Zuma at the ANC’s national elective conference in Polokwane in 2007.
- Zuma appointed him Mpumalanga premier in 2009.
- Mabuza has been the ANC Mpumalanga chairperson since 2008.
- In 2010, R14 million in cash was allegedly stolen from his farmhouse, Sunday Times reported at the time. However, SAPS’ organised crime unit in Mpumalanga said only R1 200 was stolen.
- In 2015, City Press reported Mabuza was allegedly poisoned, and was forced to take two months’ leave from his roles.
- In 2014, he started the David Mabuza Foundation, which offers educational funding and builds houses for the poor.
- In 2016, Mabuza lost a R10-million defamation lawsuit against ANC veteran Mathews Phosa. He claimed Phosa had distributed an intelligence report that alleged he was an apartheid spy.